Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Journaling With Your Children

About ten years ago, I started a journal with Emily where we would write notes back and forth to each other.  I would write to her and leave the journal on her bed and then she would write back and leave the journal on my bed.  We didn't write every day, just when we had something on our heart to say to the other person.

Sometimes there would be a scripture verse that I wanted to share with her, other times it was just something that she did during the day that blessed me that I wanted her to know about.  We wrote many thank you notes to each other and even drew some pictures. :)

Just last night, I found our journal sitting on my bed.  Emily had written me a sweet note about how something I had done during the day had really blessed and encourage her.  After I read her note, I started paging through the journal.  The first thing I noticed was that we only had one page left!  Time for a new journal! :) Tears filled my eyes as I read the rest of the notes in it and remembered all the special times that we have had together.  Even years later, the notes are still such a blessing to read!

Over the years Emily and I have filled several journals.  I just bought another journal today.  They are such treasures!! 

Emily has even started writing journals with her brothers.  They are great relationship builders and they really do not require that much time...in other words, doable for busy moms! :)  We all need encouragement...and it's nice to be appreciated too! :) 

Start a journal today! :)

No comments:

Followers