Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"I'm Bored!"

Years ago, I had gotten into the habit of putting movies on for Brandon.  He was my only child at the time.  When I wanted some time alone, I used the TV as a babysitter.  I justified this action by making sure they were good, quality videos. 

Brandon gradually got to the point where he needed to be entertained more and more.   When he wasn't watching a movie, he didn't have any idea what to do with himself.  I began hearing, "I'm bored!" more and more.

One day we decided that we needed to go on a movie fast.  I figured this would be a good exercise in self-control, but I had no idea that it would produce the results that it did.  Brandon suddenly became very creative!  I was amazed when he would show me the things that he had made out of Legos.  He began drawing and doing other things that showed great talent.  It made me so sad to think that I had squelched all these abilities in him by encouraging him to let something else control his mind.  By my poor decisions, I had created a lazy child.  But the reality was that Brandon wasn't lazy or dumb.  He just needed someone to unlock the potential that was within him.

It's easy to just let our children's time slip away in meaningless activities.  If they are quiet and entertained, why bother them?  But I want to encourage you to find activities for your children that will help them discover the gifts that God has put in them.  Ever since that day, when I realized how talented Brandon was, I have told him, "You will invent something one day!"  I have continued, over the years, to be amazed at his abilities!  And it's all because of that one decision to take away the TV.

That incident with Brandon happened about 16 years ago, but Mike and I continue to exercise caution when it comes to movie time.   Too much time sitting in front of a screen produces bad fruit, bored children, and unleashed potential!  Your children may not be thrilled when you take away the forms of entertainment that are not producing any good fruit, but, trust me, the day will come when they will be thankful for it! :)

No comments:

Followers