Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The "Sweetness" of Life!

I used to believe that being a Christian meant I would have a perfect life, free from trials, pain, persecution, and sickness. 

2 Timothy 3:12
Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

I Thessalonians  3:3
That no man should be moved by these afflictions: for yourselves know that we are appointed thereunto.

2 Corninthians 12:10
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak then am I strong.

John 17:14
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Psalm 34:19
Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all.

Where is the testimony if we have a life full of peace and joy while everything is perfect?  We are all happy when we get our way - there is no mystery to that!  But when a person suffers great loss or goes through trials and persecutions, and in the midst of it all they are full of peace and joy, that is a testimony of God's grace! 

2 Corinthians 7:4
Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my glorying of you: I am filled with comfort, I am exceeding joyful in all our tribulation.

Putting our faith and hope in Him and not being fearful while the storms of life are raging, is a witness to all watching, of a power that is unknown to the unbeliever.
I do not envy those who have to face their trials alone.  The pain that is found in this life is a burden I would never want to bear by myself.  Nevertheless, our need to have a peace that passes all understanding should not be our motivation in pursuing a relationship with Christ.  We need Him because we are sinners - every one of us!  Without His blood sacrifice to cover our sins, we will die with our sins unforgiven and spend eternity apart from Him.  (See my page titled " Are You Good Enough to go to Heaven?")
For those who have accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior, the trials and persecutions of this life become a catalyst that brings us into a deeper relationship with Him.  While trials may be very hard to go through, there is a "sweetness" that causes us to be grateful for them because they bring us a greater awareness of His presence.  And His presence is what we want.....what we long for! :)

Proverbs 27:7
The full soul loatheth a honeycomb; but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet.

No comments:

Followers