Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Prayer For Self-Control

I wrote this prayer this morning for someone who is struggling with self-control and has asked me to pray for them.  We can pray it for ourselves or change the wording and pray it for others.  In my opinion, the best prayers are those written with God's own words!  Have a blessed day!


Prayer for Self-Control

Hebrews 4:12; Psalm 119:11;  Galatians 5:16-18;  Proverbs 16:32, 25:28; James 1:12-15; 2 Timothy 2:22; Titus 2:12-14; 1Corinthians 6:20 

 

Thank you, Lord, that the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

May I hide Your words in my heart that I might not sin against you, Lord.

Help me Lord to walk in the Spirit, that I would not fulfill the lust of the flesh.   For my flesh lusteth against my Spirit, and my Spirit against my flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other, but help me to be led of the Spirit.

You have said in Your Word, that he that ruleth his spirit is better than he that taketh a city.  And You said that he that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down and without wall.  Help me to rule my spirit, Lord.

For You have said,  blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

Let me not say when I am tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Give me the strength, Lord, to flee youthful lusts and temptations: and to follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

May I deny ungodliness and worldly lusts, and live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world.  Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and my Savior Jesus Christ; who gave himself for me, that he might redeem me from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

May I always remember that I have been bought with a price: therefore may I glorify God in my body, and in my spirit, which are God's.

 

5 comments:

Theresa said...

I really like Scripture prayers and praying the Lord's word back to Him.

Mindy said...

I have been writing prayers for my kids to pray. They like praying scripture because then they know exactly what to pray and they don't get caught up in what to say and how to say it. :)

Brenda Martin Rydberg said...

I love these prayers. I need to copy them and pray them for myself. Thank you, Mindy. Thank you, Jesus.

Brenda Martin Rydberg said...

I love these prayers. I need to copy them and pray them for myself. Thank you, Mindy. Thank you, Jesus.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this prayer, I needed it because I have been struggling with self control, God bless :-)

Followers