Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Back to School

Emily and I were off running errands, and we needed to stop at Walmart for a couple things.  Before we got there I said with excitement, "I bet the school supplies are out!"  As we walked in the door, I giggled with joy when I saw the isles of note books, pencils, and glue.  I love this time of year!  Getting my school room organized, receiving my shipments of books from UPS, and counting down the days until we begin are some of the highlights! :)

When I was checking out, the guy said to me, "Are you excited about the school supplies?"  I smiled and told him I was.  He said, "Ya, the day I went back to school was my mom's favorite day of the year."  My heart sank.  Then I said, "Well, it is my favorite day too, but I home school my children."  Then he looked at me in disbelief and said, "Oh, OK."

How sad that this is how many American women feel.  They can't wait to get rid of their children.  When I got home I told my children (not that they don't already know this) how much I look forward to hours of reading and studying with them.  I get to spend the whole day with them! :)

Of course that doesn't mean it is always easy.  Homeschooling is not perfect.  And yes, there are days when I would rather leave, but those are the exception.  But whether we home school or send our kids to public school, we should not make our children feel like we don't enjoy being with them.  And if it is true, that we don't enjoy our children, then we need to fix that problem.  One thing I love about No Greater Joy ministries is that they teach parents to love their children and enjoy being with them.  If you don't have a copy of their child training book, you need to get one, or visit their website (the link is on my sidebar).  Read and learn, and enjoy your children!   They are a gift from God! :)

No comments:

Followers