Sunday, July 29, 2012

Victory at Target

When I was shopping the other day, I couldn't help but notice a family with small children shopping together.  Their littlest one was screaming...very loud.  He kept throwing a toy out of the cart and would then scream for it.  Finally the dad said, "If you stop screaming, I will pick it up for you."  The battle was on! :)  The kid screamed all the more...louder and louder!  The mother was getting very agitated.  Scowling at her husband, she said, "Why is he crying!"  The father, who was pushing the cart and waiting for his wife to find what she needed, explained the situation.  She rolled her eyes and grumbled.

All this time, I was pretending not to notice.  And I kept saying to myself, "Dad, don't give in!  Don't give in!"  As the kid continued to scream, the dad shouted even louder, "Stop crying and I will give it to you!"  Then suddenly the kid stopped and the dad got the toy and gave it to the boy!   Victory!!! :)

Then he said, "If you throw that again, I will not buy it for you.  We will leave it in the store.  Do you hear me?  Look at me!  Do you understand?"  This boy knew that his father meant business, and he was learning to obey his father.  This was a wise father.

As I walked past the family, I just smiled, but I wanted so badly to encourage that man and tell him what a great dad he was.  He certainly wasn't getting any encouragement from his wife!  But his little boy will grow up to respect him.  Men need to be leaders and children need to obey their parents.  It is in God's plan!  And God's ways always work best!!! :)

No comments:

Followers